Packaging and paper company, International Paper, has revealed how it is currently performing against its Vision 2020 Goals, a set of 12 voluntary goals that it set in 2010 aimed at improving the company’s impact on people and the planet.
As a global producer of pulp, paper and packaging products, International Paper recognises the importance of the environment and it is committed to continuous improvement and transparency about its sustainability successes and challenges.
How the company is progressing towards Vision 2020 Goals:
- Improve energy efficiency in purchased energy usage by 15% - up to 2015, there has been a 4.7% improvement from the 2010 baseline.
- Reduce GHG (Greenhouse Gas) emissions by 20% (direct and indirect) - as of 2015, there has been a 16% reduction.
- Reduction in air emissions, (PM, SO2, NOx) by 10% - this has been accomplished, with a reduction of 18%.
- Map water usage through its manufacturing locations by 2013, develop site-specific plans by 2015 to reduce use in strategic watershed areas by 2020 - by 2015, International Paper has mapped its water use and risk by location, identified priority mills, and initiated programmes to reduce its water use.
- Reduce mill wastewater discharges of oxygen-depleting substances to receiving streams by 15% - the accomplishment has seen a reduction of 17% up to 2015, passing the target by 2%.
- Increase third-party certified fibre by 35% - there has been a 28% increase in certified fibre volume since 2010.
- Reduce fibre lost in the manufacturing process to less than 0.75% - so far has been a 0.51% fibre loss from International Paper’s reporting mills.
- Reduce manufacturing waste to landfills by 30% and ultimately to zero by 2020 - currently at an 11% reduction from the 2010 baseline.
- Increase the recovery of old corrugated containers by exploring new sources and diverting usable fibre from landfills by 15% - as of 2015, this has seen a 3% increase since 2010.
- Establish processes promoting transparency, managing risk by monitoring, and identifying opportunities with suppliers - International Paper has successfully established a baseline supply chain performance and also implemented plans to improve this.
- Achieve an injury-free workplace - currently there has been a 60% reduction since 2010 in serious safety incidents.
To view the 2020 Vision Goals and performance in full, visit: http://www.internationalpaper.com/planet/vision-2020-goals