According to the Office of National Statistics, in 2016, 2.9 million of the 18.9 million families in the UK were headed by a lone parent. The majority (86%) were headed by a female lone parent and the remaining 14% were headed by a male lone parent. As a result of this, Clinton’s has announced that it has introduced a new range of Father’s day cards to reflect the diversity of family arrangements today.
Whilst cards are changing, spending on Father’s Day has also been hit. Last year the proportion of consumers ranking Father's Day as less important than Mother’s Day increased 15.6 ppts, with 24.5 per cent of shoppers surveyed agreeing. As a result, the gap between Mother’s Day and Father’s Day spend widened, with total retail spend on Mother’s day in 2017 valued at almost £1.4bn. Spending this year on Father’s Day is forecast to grow to £695.2m but this will be predominantly driven by inflation, which in May 2017 was at a four year high of 2.9 per cent.
Tim Fairs, a director at Clintons said, “the vast majority of Father’s Day cards that we offer are traditional and there are currently around 900 Father’s Day options in our range. Recently we’ve been asked by customers whether it's time to cater for a wider range of family circumstances. Our ‘Happy Father’s Day Mum’ card is just one of many examples of new cards that we're bringing to our range. We have wedding cards for same sex couples, for instance, and we think it's really important that we continue to reflect the changing shape of modern families and meet the needs of our customers."
"In response to demand we're also looking at a range of Single Parent's Day cards for March 21st to reflect the wishes of parents who don't wish their role to be defined by gender."
Eleanor Parr, Retail Analyst at GlobalData added, “as consumers’ disposable incomes become squeezed due to real wage declines, consumers will be more reluctant to allocate discretionary spend on occasions which are considered less important, therefore driving a volume decline in the market. Father’s Day spending will become a victim of this trend, with the slight increase in spend driven prominently by increased prices rather than shoppers’ willingness to upgrade their Father’s Day gift purchases this year.”
The new ‘Happy Father’s Day Mum’ card, along with Father’s Day cards for Step-Fathers, Father-Figures, and Grandfathers are available now from all Clintons stores in the UK. A range of Mother’s Day cards for Dads are set to hit shelves in time for Mother’s Day next year.