A new study from Rubbermaid Commercial Products (RCP) has revealed the public’s expectations for hand sanitiser provisions in public spaces.
Conducted during the summer of 2020 as businesses began to reopen after lockdown, the findings from the survey show how businesses can effectively demonstrate their commitment to public health and safety, by protecting staff and customers with appropriate solutions that people want to use.
The survey discovered that the public wants to use touch-free dispensers as 93 per cent say that this is their preferred way of dispensing hand sanitiser.
Typically, perhaps linked to the wider governmental approach, 75 per cent of people want the security of alcohol-based hand sanitiser. However, the remaining 25 per cent prefer alcohol-free sanitiser, which means, depending on the type of facility and associated risk factors, facilities should implement the approach that’s right for them.
The public is also clear that the facilities they go to, for work or personal reasons, should have sanitiser. Rubbermaid asked respondents to describe a venue with no hand sanitiser provisions. The most common words were unsafe, unclean and dangerous.
The research also found that 72 per cent would avoid using hand sanitiser if it looked unclean or unhygienic. This leads to two possible outcomes for facilities with suboptimal provisions. Either members of the public will not use the sanitiser, potentially spreading germs throughout, or they will bypass a venue entirely and go somewhere that provides it in an aesthetically pleasing way.
Implementing a higher quality hand hygiene solution must also extend beyond entryway deployment. 53 per cent of respondents expect to see hand hygiene provisions placed throughout a venue. Seeing hand sanitiser provisions throughout a space can provide a sense of safety for the public, 79 per cent of respondents said hand sanitiser provision was the most important factor in their safety in a location other than home.
Paul Jakeway, Head of Marketing RCP, EMEA said, “businesses that wish to encourage customers back to their facilities should be mindful of the expectations of those customers. Deploying alcohol or alcohol-free hand sanitiser in touch-free dispensers, on stands or walls at key touchpoints throughout a facility reassures customers, putting businesses ahead of their competitors who are still offering substandard provisions.”
Facilities that wish to reassure staff and customers need to re-evaluate the hand hygiene provisions they offer considering these survey results. The time is now to upgrade, to protect people by exceeding their expectations and to attain a competitive advantage over facilities that overlook the importance of those expectations.
RCP hand hygiene dispensers and refills are designed to create safer, healthier environments for every facility. Durable, touch-free and manual, with a lifetime warranty, they are available in a variety of sizes and deployment methods to meet the varied needs of a facility.